Monday, September 06, 2004

The Candy Wrapper

I had promised a little girl that when I stroll by the playground today, and she would be there, that I would bring her a piece of candy. So today, as I went for my stroll as usual I dropped by the playground to find her. When I entered the playground I only saw a baby girl, not yet three years old, sitting on a bench. She sat in absolute stillness, and her puffy face looked at me with her large black eyes. She neither cried nor smiled, just simply sat still as a marble statue, and for a moment we just looked at each other, until she broke the spell and cried for her sister. Her sister, six years old, was the girl to whom I've promised a candy for. The girl had been playing on the swings and forgot that I was supposed to come. When she heard here sister's cry and saw me turning around, looking at her, joy overflown from her, and she spilled it all to the ground by running around the playground with her arms flung open. Twice she ran around before she realized that she was detaining my time. She came to me, excitedly, but grew a bit shy. As she approached me I took a piece of candy out of my pocket and handed it over to her. Her hands quickly unraveled the candy wrapper, and threw the candy into her mouth. Then she muttered some words - thank you, probably - and ran to the closest garbage can. I watched her in silence, and wore a smile upon my face. She was about to throw the candy wrapper when all of a sudden she just paused, looked up in the sky, then ran back to me. She stopped, and looked at me with a full smile, and asked: "Do you want the candy wrapper?" I looked back at her, and could not help but laugh out loud. That day I left the playground, and everything seemed to have lost its seriousness. Her innocent question had killed the spirit of gravity, and everything all of a sudden sang and danced...

As for the candy wrapper, I thanked her for giving it to me, and when I had reached home, I put it into a small jar along with the other candy wrappers she had given me in our previous meetings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Minch said...

i want CANDY! :)
Children sure can make miracles happen. Always end up in a brighter mood after i hang out and talk to them. Just something about them makes a person all cheerful. So ADORABLE! Speaking of kids... u doing teen tutoring next session? Or have u permanently retired? Did u even retire for the November session?! I already miss volunteering >.<

11:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home